Can You Install a Gas Fireplace On An Interior Wall?
Gas fireplaces can be a great addition to the home, providing warmth and a cozy atmosphere. However, many people are doubtful whether a gas fireplace can be installed on an interior wall, rather than on an exterior one.
The good news is that you can indeed install a gas fireplace on an interior wall, as long as you have the access to a gas outlet and can meet the necessary safety requirements, like; the balanced flue for ventilation and a functional chimney.
However, there are three types of gas fireplaces that are slightly different on the basis of the vent system. All of them can be installed on an interior wall:
- Natural Draft fireplaces
- Direct Vent fireplaces
- Ventless fireplaces
If you want more details about the gas fireplace installation then contact the expert team at Magic Mountain Chimney, they will guide you through the process of installation.
The Requirements For Installing A Gas Fireplace On An Interior Wall
Below, in this article, we are mentioning all the requirements that need to be inspected before the induction of a gas fireplace.
- The thickness of wall should be at least 8 inches thick. This thickness level will be ideal and safe for installing a gas fire.
- It should be a solid surface because a gas fireplace requires adequate support to function properly and safely. If the wall is not made of solid materials, such as brick or concrete, then it may not be able to handle the pressure of a gas fire and could potentially become damaged.
- Keep the combustible or flammable materials away from the gas fireplace unit. It includes items such as; furniture, curtains, and other decorations that may be close to the wall.
- During the installation process, our team will adhere to all the safety protocols and abide by the manufacturer’s approved location, as indicated in the guidelines.
If you already have a gas fireplace on your property, then it’s still essential that you make sure about all the safety precautions, such as; ventilation, gas leakage, or any other. That’s why it’s highly suggested that you contact Magic Mountain Chimney to get a monthly inspection and repair. Also, we are providing a fireplace insert repair service all over the region of Maryland.
Pros and Cons of a Gas Fireplace on an Interior Wall
Before deciding to install a gas fireplace on an interior wall, it is important to consider the potential pros and cons. Doing so could decrease the possibility of a gas leak or other safety issues.
Pros of Having a Gas Fireplace
- The fireplace installation is easily achievable in most homes, even those of smaller size, as no additional construction or excavation of the exterior of the home is required.
- It can provide sufficient heating for the desired area. Furthermore, they are optimal for heating efficiency and cost savings.
- As they emit very low levels of CO2, it makes them eco-friendly and provides soothing warmth during colder months.
- They require little maintenance and can be used year-round with minor adjustments.
- They come in many different styles and design choices, so you can find one that matches your personal aesthetic preferences.
Cons of Having a Gas Fireplace
- High humidity levels caused by gas fireplaces can lead to condensation and damage to structures, so proper safety measures must be taken.
- Condensation and moisture problems in the home, combined with smells of gasoline and soot, creating an uncomfortable situation for some homeowners.
Key Indicators to Maintain a Gas Fireplace
A gas fireplace will eventually need occasional maintenance to stay in good operating condition. If you take these precautions, such as:
- It is important to regularly clean the firebox and chimney to remove soot, ash, and other accumulations.
- Annual airtightness inspections of the unit should include blowing out all gas lines with a CO2 cylinder.
- Inspection of the fireplace should be carried out to detect any signs of wear or damage. If necessary, any components that are aged or damaged should be promptly replaced.
Get Fireplace Installation & Inspection Today
If you reside in Maryland, or nearby areas and are looking for a professional installation or repair service for your gas fireplace or wood fireplace, Magic Mountain Chimney is here to help. For more information, call us at 301-695-6991 or fill out the request form.