Westminster, MD, Chimney Inspections, Cleaning & Repair Experts
Why should you have your Westminster, MD, chimney inspected once a year? That’s a question a lot of people ask. We’re going to answer it for you.
Unknown Chimney Damage Can Mean High Repair Bills
The most important reason for yearly chimney inspections by a licensed and certified chimney inspector is to spot early signs of damage before they get out of control.
Homeowners throughout Westminster and surrounding communities can save big money by catching problems with their chimney before those problems evolve into potentially dangerous situations. What kind of problems are we talking about?
- Brick spalling (loose/missing bricks) and damaged mortar
- Cracks or holes in the chimney liner that put chimney masonry and the home itself at risk of fire or water damage
- Warped flashing that allows water to run down into the house
- Damaged cement chimney crowns
- Excess buildup of drafting obstructions inside the flue
- Leaky chimneys
- Issues with the chimney cap that let water infiltrate the flue
- Fireplace that is the wrong size for the flue, which can cause problems with smoke drafting
- Improperly installed fireplace insert
Three Levels of Certified Chimney Inspection for Your Westminster, MD, Home
The Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) has designated three levels of chimney inspection that cover all possible contingencies. Level 1 is the most basic and the type of inspection performed under “normal” circumstances. Here is some background on each chimney inspection level performed by the chimney solution experts at Magic Mountain Chimney Sweeps Fireplace & Grills of Westminster.
Level 1: Performed by a CSIA-certified chimney technician, a Level 1 inspection covers situations where the fireplace and vent system have not changed or been altered. We use our eyes and specialized video technology to closely inspect all visible areas of your chimney and fireplace system including the masonry, the flue and all components. We’re looking for any evidence that indicates a lack of soundness in the chimney structure, a compromise to any of its components, unsafe connections and blockages within the flue. Following the inspection, we’ll give you a report showing areas that need repair or service.
Level 2: Level 2 chimney inspections are performed under three circumstances:
1. A new appliance or vent system has been added (such as adding a fireplace insert or building a new chimney)
2. The home is in the process of being sold
3. A chimney fire, home fire, weather event or other event has happened and chimney damage is suspected
Level 3: A Level 3 inspection is the most involved inspection and often involves dismantling parts of the chimney structure or the home. This inspection is called for when a previous inspection indicates that significant damage to the system exists and cannot be assessed with a simple visual inspection.
Schedule Professional Inspection for Peace of Mind
By having your chimney inspected once a year by one of our CSIA-certified chimney experts, you’ll enjoy the peace of mind that comes from knowing your chimney and fireplace are good to go for another season and will operate efficiently and safely. If it’s been longer than a year since your last thorough chimney inspection, call Magic Mountain Chimney Sweeps Fireplace & Grills at (301) 695-6991. We work throughout Westminster, MD, Pasadena, MD, Annapolis, MD, Baltimore, MD and the entire Washington D.C metro area.